Safety and Security After Brexit

All vehicles arriving or departing from the UK will be required to have a safety and security declaration made in advance of the vehicle arriving at the port of departure from Europe.

For Ferry port shipping, you will require at least two hours prior to arriving at the port of departure.

For Eurotunnel shipping, you will require at least one hour, prior to arriving at the Eurotunnel terminal.

A safety and security declaration will not be required, if the goods are moving under transit procedures (T1, T2, NCTS, T- Form) as the information required by UK customs will be contained within the information that is sent to them at the time the transit is issued in the country of departure.

In addition to a safety and security message being required by the UK authorities, a safety and security may also be required by the EU authorities. We are currently waiting for guidance on this matter by the UK authorities and it may well clarify the matter once the clarification has been clarified by the authorities.

It will be the responsibility of the haulier moving the goods to provide all the necessary Safety & Declarations are completed.

We understand software will be required to submit this information. 


Controlled Goods – High-risk food & Feed, Goods of Animal origin after EU Exit– EU27

The guidance issued originally has been updated by Government and we strongly recommend that all parties involved in the import of products listed below study fully the impact on their business and put in place the necessary processes.

  • Live animals
  • Animal products
  • Fish and fishery products
  • High risk food
  • Feed not of animal origin

The link below as well as giving information on imports from the EU27 also gives information on the chances to imports from 3rd countries.

Traders importing live animals, animal products and high-risk food and fee not of animal origin from the EU and the rest of the world – what to expect on a day one of a ‘no deal’ scenario

Later in this pack you will find a list of UK RoRo ports. Also a list of the current UK Border Inspection Posts (BIPs). We recommend you familiarise yourselves with the information provided by Customs as there are changes to which ports are able to take certain 3rd country goods.

These can be found online at:- RoRo ports –

List of Border Inspection Posts – 


Controlled Goods – Plants and plant-based goods – EU27

For the companies importing any plants, fruits, vegetables or plant-based materials then you will need to ensure that you have a system in place to

  • Obtain the necessary certificates from your suppliers, such as phytosanitary certificates.
  • Pre-lodge advance a notification of arrival which will require a copy of the documents to be uploaded.
  • A system to notify your Customs Broker the declaration has been done and the associated reference.

PEACH remains the system for pre-notification and if you are not already registered you will need to apply online. This is a quick and simple process and we recommend that you apply to become an authorised trade premises so in the event the goods do need to be inspected this can be done at your own premises.

To register for PEACH the link is

To register for authorised traders premises is

This also includes timber products which has its own rules and guidance can be found at :

Traders Importing Plants and plant products from the EU27

For the import of both goods of animal origin high risk food and feed and goods of plants and plant based goods given the differing nature of the types of goods being imported Aerona Air & Sea Customs Clearing Agents will not undertake any of the pre-notification processes. All of these will have to be done by the traders. 


Impact on current imports from outside of the EU.

In the vast majority of cases the systems currently in place for the import of goods from third countries will not change. There are two areas we would like to bring your attention to:

Imports via road of animal products, or goods categorised as high risk requiring a CVED or CED.

  • As an example, the import of hazelnuts or fish from Turkey require a CVED and will have to be imported via a port that has a Border Inspection Post (BIP). Whilst currently these goods arriving into the UK by road will have had the necessary checks and documents issued on the first entry point into the EU this will not be the case in the current envisaged no deal BREXIT scenario. These goods would need to be imported into a port that has a BIP. Currently Dover and Eurotunnel do NOT have a BIP so an alternative port of arrival would be required.

Preferential Agreement.

  • From day 1 of a No Deal BREXIT scenario not all Preferential Agreements are likely to apply and could result in importers having to pay duty on goods which they do not currently. In these circumstances’ importers will review their deferment arrangements as mentioned previously.

We strongly recommend all importers investigate for themselves if their products will be impacted by the changes. 


Import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS: guidance)

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, from 11pm GMT on 29 March 2019, you will no longer be the EU’s TRACES (Trade Control and Expert System) to notify the UK authorities about an import.

If you’re importing into the UK you must use the ‘Import of products, animals food and feed system’ (IPAFFS) to create part 1 of a:

  • CVED (common veterinary entry document – for live animals and products of animal origin)
  • CED (common entry document – for high-risk food and animal feed of non-animal origin)

For additional information please visit the government link below:

Contact Aerona Customs Clearing Agents Ltd on 0161 652 3443 or visit