Another blow for van drivers travelling to the EU
Van and commercial drivers will soon need an (expensive) international goods operating licence. 

After the lockdowns, isolations, rising costs and soaring inflation rates … here is yet another dose of bad news for UK van drivers who transport goods to or from the EU and some other surrounding countries. From 21st May 2022 anyone who drives a van or light commercial vehicle to these countries will be required to obtain a new international goods operating licence. 

The new international goods operating licence applies to drivers transporting goods on a commercial basis to or from all countries in the EU, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. If you drive a van or light commercial vehicle with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) over 2.5 tonnes and up to 3.5 tonnes or if you drive a car towing a trailer with a gross train weight (GTW) over 2.5 tonnes up to and including 3.5 tonnes then you must adhere to the new regulations. 

An international goods operating licence will NOT be required if the vehicles are used solely in the UK or if goods are being transported on a non-commercial basis. 

If you ALREADY HOLD an international goods operating licence then it is important to note that details of vans and trailers used in transporting goods to or from the above mentioned countries or territories will have to be added to the licence. 

It is also important to note that there are important conditions applied to the new rules. 

If you DO NOT currently hold a standard international goods operating licence then the costs and obligations involved are probably more stringent than they may first appear. 

By law, the van operator will need to prove that they have sufficient finance to run their business.This amount may vary depending on the number and types of vehicles operated, but  £8,000 must be available for the first vehicle in the fleet, plus an additional £800 is required for EACH additional van or trailer. 

The operating company will also be required to appoint a transport manager who will be legally responsible for ALL the vehicles listed on the international goods operating licence.The manager must also ensure that every driver follows industry regulations. 

To qualify as the transport manager the individual must demonstrate that they have run fleets for a minimum of ten years, or that they have completed a course to confirm their transport manager qualification. 

In addition there are a number of supplementary charges. 

It will cost the operator £257 to apply for a goods vehicle operator licence and if the application is successful a further £401 will have to be paid for the licence.
A continuation fee (currently £401) is required to be paid every five years to ensure that the licence remains active. 

No doubt these new international goods operating licence regulations will appear somewhat challenging.
The good news is that a chat with Aerona (Air & Sea) Customs Clearing Agents Ltd could very well clarify many of the questions and queries you may have.

The important thing to note though is that you cannot afford to ignore these new regulations.The international goods operating licence is real and it is imminent.
If you are at all concerned then speak to Aerona without delay.  We’ll do everything we can to help you. 

You can call Aerona on 0161 652 3443 or email us at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or you can send us a message using the form that can be found on our Contact page and we will get back to you without delay.